Last week I wrote about the need to take a break when you are exhausted and overwhelmed. Apparently, I didn’t rest long enough. I’ve been fighting off a virus or something that finally caught up with me. So, I’m sick…. waaaahhhh! Okay, I’m kind of being a baby. When I was a kid and I was sick, my mom used to make me soft-boiled eggs. Plus, I was craving some easy (and easily-digested) comfort food.
Trouble is, I never learned how to make soft-boiled eggs. Growing up, I never even learned how to boil water. Luckily, google is at my fingertips and soft-boiled eggs really are pretty simple. Additionally, eggs are so nutrient-packed that they are the perfect food when your immune system needs a boost. They have lots of protein, healthy fats, highly beneficial and easily-absorbable antioxidants, Choline (a nutrient that supports brain health) as well as lots of vitamins and minerals. They are legal on the PALEO, GAPS, Primal, and SCD diets as well. So I made three. If you’ve never made them either, here are the super-simple instructions.
- Bring pot of water to a rolling boil (you can salt the water if you want).
- Reduce to a simmer and add eggs.
- Simmer eggs for 5 minutes.
- Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and run under cool water for about 30 seconds.
- Tap all the way around the top of the egg with a spoon to crack it.
- Peel the top of the egg.
- Peel off the rest of the shell (or eat right out of the shell). You want the eggs to be soft, but a little firm.
Mmmm – I feel better already.